Mujtaba: The People’s Advocate.
The fight for children and families is personal for Mujtaba. The importance of creating fairness and opportunity for all is critical to him. Giving priority to those most vulnerable in our community is his life’s mission. Over the years, Mujtaba has been a tireless advocate for children and families, acquiring an intimate understanding of the challenges that everyday families encounter through his work as a former staff attorney and child advocate at the Council for Children’s Rights, and a fighter for indigent people as an Assistant Public Defender in Charlotte.
Mujtaba’s commitment to disadvantaged communities began early on through his own personal struggles as a child, and continues today as a father and husband. A longtime Charlotte resident, he was born in the United States to two hardworking immigrant parents from India and raised under modest means. Mujtaba’s mom and dad taught him the importance of putting family before self, helping others, and appreciating the simple blessings in life. It was this belief in giving priority to family and community that led Mujtaba to pursue a career in public interest law and a life dedicated to serving those in need. As a product of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and graduate of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Mujtaba knows firsthand the role that a strong public education system can play in opening the doors of opportunity for all our families. He is a proud graduate of North Carolina Central University School of Law, and attended the school due to it’s rich history of empowering communities of color, and it’s commitment to truth and service.
In addition to defending the rights of the underprivileged in the courtroom, and fighting to connect low-income families to the services they need every day, Mujtaba continues to demonstrate his commitment to children and families through his work on the Boards of Directors of local non-profit organizations such as Council for Children’s Rights and Larry King’s Clubhouse: Children’s Care Center. Mujtaba’s record of serving children and families led to his election to the North Carolina State Senate in 2018, where he is working to ensure every family and child has a chance at a brighter economic future.
When he’s not fighting to strengthen our communities, Mujtaba spends his time raising his three children, Ayub (6), Hamza (4), and Amara (newborn) with his lovely wife Saba, in northeast Charlotte.
Standing or Select Committee NC Senate (2019-2020 Session)
- Senate Judiciary Committee, Member
- Senate State & Local Government Committee, Member
- Senate Appropriations on Agriculture, Natural, and Economic Resources, Member
Non-Standing Committees (2019-2020 Session)
- Justice & Public Safety, Member
- Local Government, Member
NC Legislative Black Caucus, Executive Committee Member
- Mecklenburg County Public Defender’s Office, Assistant Public Defender
- Council for Children’s Rights, Former Staff Attorney
- North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities, Governor’s Appointed Member
- Council for Children’s Rights, Board of Directors
- Mecklenburg Ministries (MeckMin), Board of Directors
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Larry King’s Clubhouse: Children’s Care Center, Board of Directors
- Leading on Opportunity Council, Former Community At-Large Representative
- Mecklenburg County Democratic Party, Former Vice Chair
- NC Democratic Party, Former 12th Congressional District Representative on Council of Review